Who Gives a Damn?

The uninteresting ramblings of a wife, mother and secretary

05 March 2006

Australia. Founded by Pirates?

We have a First Fleet framed picture in our hall. It has a handwritten list of all the people who traveled on the First Fleet, a map showing the route the First Fleet traveled and a drawing of the Fleet.

One day Bonnie asked me about the picture. I’m not proud to say that my history knowledge is lacking somewhat so I explained what I could. They were prisoners from England sent to this God forsaken county (I bet now they wished they left the prisoners in England and shipped themselves out here), many died on the way due to the lack of fruit and vegetables (any excuse to reinforce the importance of fruit and vege’s) and when they got here they built a city, our city. She was very interested and asked many questions. I answered what I could and made up what I couldn’t.

About 2 hours later when Clyde woke up from his nap, they were both standing looking at the picture and I walked past. Bonnie said “Mum, tell Clyde about the pirates”.

1 Comments:

At 11:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will have to explain to Bonnie the difference between Pirates & the Prisoners that were sent here.
Love Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home