Who Gives a Damn?

The uninteresting ramblings of a wife, mother and secretary

16 March 2006

The Commonwealth Games Opening

Well, the 18th Commonwealth Games was officially opened last night.

I missed the beginning but sat down in time to see the 71 nations enter the MCG. I must say most of the African and Asian nations looked stunning. India has so much colour and glitter, it looked like they’d just stepped off a Bollywood film set, the Aussies on the other hand, looked like they forgot to get changed after a hard day at a Catholic high school, although I’m sure my mother thought they looked lovely (didn’t you mum?).

Dame Kiri Te Kanawa sang a beautiful “happy birthday” to the queen and when it turned into “God save the Queen”, the Queen stood for the National Anthem. I looked at Napoleon and said “does the Queen have to stand for the anthem?” He looked at me like I was an idiot, “Yea-eah”. I don’t understand this. She’s the one being saved. She should be able to sit and scratch her arse if she wants to!

Then the speeches started. Poor Prince Phillip was obviously feeling the heat under all of the lights and didn’t look particularly well, in fact I thought he was about to fall off his perch. The Queen looked bored senseless. She was staring off into space and I could hear her thinking “Shit, I’m 80 years old. I have to sit through this crap every four years and look like I’m enjoying it. Why does God keep saving me, why won’t he let me just die!” I must say, I have to agree (well, not about the dieing) but for the love of God, let the poor woman stay home in her flannelette nightie with a glass of sherry watching Eastenders.

1 Comments:

At 4:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Shelley I did think that our team looked very nice. They looked as though they were in Don Bradmans Cricket Team from the 1930's. I thought the Queen looked bored & wondered why she stood for the anthem & Phil I think was readin a book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home